- Established: 1838
- Population: 55,073 (2000 census)
- County Seat: Johnstown
- Tourism Region: Adirondacks
- Information: no official website at this time
- Bordering Counties: Hamilton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Saratoga
- Area code: 518
- Origin of Name: In honor of Robert Fulton, inventor of the first commercially-practical steamboat.
- Incorporated Cities: Gloversville, Johnstown
- Villages: Broadalbin, Dolgeville*, Mayfield, Northville
- Towns: Bleecker, Broadalbin, Caroga, Ephratah, Johnstown, Mayfield, Northampton, Oppenheim, Perth, Stratford
* Village of Dolgeville also located in Herkimer County.
- Essex County is in NYSDOT Region 2 , county code 21.
- List of county highways from Empire State Roads.
- Relevant exit guides: