- Established: 1802
- Population: 60,370 (2000 census)
- County Seat: Batavia
- Tourism Region: Finger Lakes
- Information: Genesee County website
- Bordering Counties: Erie, Livingston, Monroe, Niagara, Orleans, Wyoming
- Area code: 585, 716
- Origin of Name: from a Seneca Indian word meaning "good valley".
- Incorporated Cities: Batavia
- Villages: Alexander, Attica*, Bergen, Corfu, Elba, LeRoy, Oakfield
- Towns: Alabama, Alexander, Batavia, Bergen, Bethany, Byron, Darien, Elba, LeRoy, Oakfield, Pavilion, Pembroke, Stafford
* Village of Attica is also in Wyoming County
- Essex County is in NYSDOT Region 4, county code 41.
- List of county highways from Empire State Roads.
- Relevant exit guides: