The new signshop is coming soon!
As a "road geek", one of my major interests lie in road signage, especially the signs found on freeways and expressways. Had I followed an alternate career path out of high school, I'd probably be working for NYSDOT as a traffic engineer today, bringing as much information in as little time as possible to the drivers of New York. As of 2007, I'm going to school for that very reason.
Since I currently do not work in that capacity, I opt to just throw my opinions out there instead. Included are some graphics that I have made that represent some of my signing suggestions for NYSDOT. I believe they follow the National Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The graphics are depictions of signs that I would use to improve or enhance current installations. Where possible, I indicate the location of the current sign.
The new "Clearview" style lettering has made it's debut in The Empire State. I've included a page with some information on this new font.
In the past I have been approached by people interested in me creating a road sign graphic for them. I don't mind doing this, just contact me .
As a final note, I do not mean to sound like I'm being extra hard on NYSDOT Region 2, as they do a fine job. I just happen to live in Region 2 and have the means of making more observations here in this area.
Take a tour of the sign shop or click directly to one of my recommended sign designs. All of the suggestions can be navigated by a navigation bar at the bottom of each page.
- Freeway Symbol
- Exit Gore
- Freeway / Expressway Entrance Ramp
- Freeway / Expressway Entrance Ramp
- Political Boundary
- County Routes on freeway and expressway guide signs
- Closely spaced exits/post interchange combo distance sign
- Junction sign for freeway/expressway approach from secondary roads
- Advance Exit Signs for closely grouped exits
- Excessive Cardinal Directions
- Fuel Services Logo Signs
- Mileage signs on two-lane roadways
- White-on-brown Attractions signs
- Standardization of New York State Route shield
- Improved marking of multiplexed route numbers
- Better signing of NYSDOT maintained interstates to Thruway interchanges
- Plan for new exit numbers now
- Series E mixed case versus Series E Modified
- Improved mileage signs along Interstate 90/Thruway
- Approaches to multiplexes
- Directional Cues for Unnumbered Interchanges
- Marking Picnic Areas as Picnic Areas
- High-speed interchanges
- Truck Inspection and Rest Area signing
- Out of state Control Destination Guidance
- Business Route 49 in the Town of Marcy
- Tourist destination guidance
Addressing Motorist Safety Concerns:
- Alerting motorists to the Upstate New York snowbelt regions
- Thruway milepost improvements
- Match Speed of Freeway Traffic
- Advising motorists of available emergency services at freeway interchanges
- Addressing Distance Based Interchange Numbering
- Multiple Sign Panels on Overhead Installations and Pull-Through Down Arrows
- Interchange off-ramp directional and distance signs and older motorists
- Keep Right Except to Pass
- County Line signs on the New York Thruway
- Intersection Details at Next Signal
- Distance Based Exit Numbers
- Improving Motorist Location Identification
- Boxed road names on freeway and expressway signage
Just A New Design:
- New Guide Sign Panel Design to accomodate eventual transition to distance based exit numbering
- End Road Work - Thank You
Specific Locations by NYSDOT Region:
- Thruway: Improving Thruway bound guidance at Exit 24
- Thruway: Post Interchange Mileage in Hudson Valley
- Thruway: Exits 21A and 24 signs directing motorists to I-90 WEST .
- Thruway: Services for Drivers west of Angola Service Area
- Region 2: Interstate 790 approach to Genesee St/Thruway interchange .
- Region 2: Eliminate unnecessary weaving in the Town of New Hartford .
- Region 2: Interstate 790 pull thru sign
- Region 2: N Y 49 - missing overhead assembly
- Region 2: N Y 840 - missing overhead assembly
- Region 2: N Y 5A - missing reference to commonly used "Commercial Drive"
- Region 2: N Y 49 Post Interchange Mileage
- Region 2: Eliminating sign clutter on Interstate 790
- Region 2: Eliminating sign clutter on NY Route 49
- Region 2: NY 8-NY 12 approach to I-790 - NY 5 - NY 49 interchange
- Region 3: I-81 NB MP 129 Post Interchange Sign
- Region 4: I-490 Exit 21